What's frightening to me is that half of the list running through my head, I wasn't even aware I was doing. I started thinking about the conversation SGT Hubs and I would need to have this evening as I walked through the house shutting off lights left on by the monsters. I knew I was shutting the lights off, which should be a habit anyway. But in our tiny apartment, we usually leave the lights on as there are so few windows to bring light from outside. But subconsciously I was thinking about dropping the electric bill as low as possible. I started double checking to make sure I had supplies already on had to make my homemade cleaning supplies. I was debating if I have enough ink in the printer for coupons to save money on groceries. These are all things I try to do anyway but not as a rule. It's a "when I remember" thing, not a "because I have to since there might not be any money" thing. And then begin the questions. The questions I wish I could ask the people responsible for the near fear I am experiencing right now. So here is an open letter to Congress that I wish they could read.
Dear Congress,
What I don't understand is that when faced with the reality of a budget change, I can handle it better. I shut lights off, cut coupons, and say no to the angelic faces begging me for a Happy Meal. What's wrong with you that you can't learn from that? Have you forgotten how to do those things? In all likelihood you never had to worry about such things in your lives. Ever. And if you did, you obviously aren't yelling loud enough for you counterparts to hear. Or maybe that's the problem. There's too much yelling and not enough listening. We have that problem in our house too. But I am also teaching the monsters that it's important to take turns talking and listening to other people. Sounds like you need to find your listening ears. The ones you have on are obviously not working.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Put a bunch of E4, E5, even E6 wives in charge of your budget and we'll get you straightened out. We are used to stretching that almighty dollar to cover food, bills, daycare/preschool, soccer/football/horseback riding lessons, and the all too frequent "Mom, my shoes are too tight again!" I expect there to be whining on your part. I expect complaining. I expect not everyone to be happy with the outcome. But you know what? After living the monsters for the last almost five and nine years respectively (I said almost, it gets the point across), I really don't think you can top the whine/scream/ear-piercing decibel level that is a cranky, overtired four year old not getting his way and hearing mom say a very firm, for the fifth and final time, "No." I'm pretty good at tuning that out. You might even say ignoring it.
So, Congress, this is Mom talking. That's Mom with a capital M to you, by the way. I'm giving you one last chance to get this budget issue squared away. And I swear if you don't, I will come out there to DC and give you ground you all. And it won't be the military and their families worrying about how they are going to put food on the table and pay the bills. And if you're lucky I might just bring my "We WILL get along!" shirt.
Sincerely yours,
Mom, HH6 of this household
*According to the article we will receive our pay eventually, when Congress fixes the budget issue. I hate that word. Eventually does not take care of our bills. I feel Congress should be responsible for calling our creditors, leasing office, utility companies, etc. and explain to them why they may be receiving their payments late from us.
**I suggest my fellow Military Spouses check out this link on ways to make the possible temporary loss of pay a little easier. A little. It's better than nothing.

Oh god! That sounds horrible! They should take a DAMN Pay freeze instead of families of service that defend their paychecks.
ReplyDelete